A well connected country Costa Rica’s domestic air travel infrastructure is actually quite strong. Flying is one of the easiest ways to get around in Costa Rica, especially to more remote regions such as the Osa Peninsula, where roads are often just dirt tracks. There are two main airlines in the country that provide not only reasonably priced domestic air travel, but also offer scheduled daily flights.
Flights Across Costa RicaSansa and Nature Air regularly operate flights to at least 12 destinations across the country linked from San Jose. Both of these Costa Rica airlines use a variety of small prop planes that carry between 9 and 25 passangers. With these airlines you can fly not only to major cities like Liberia International Airport or Quepos Domestic Airport, but you can get flights to remote regions such as the Puerto Jiménez Domestic Airport in South Puntarenas or the La Fortuna / Arenal Volcano Domestic Airport in Alajuela. It is important to note that while Sansa operates from the Juan Santamaria International Airport, Nature Air operates out of the domestic Tobias Bolanos Airport in downtown San Jose, a 20 minute drive away.
Great Way to TravelMost of the domestic flights are moderately priced at as low as $100 one way, but do keep in mind that during peak tourist season flight prices tend to go up. Some important things that you need to keep in mind when traveling by a domestic airline are;
- Infants and children up to the age of 2 fly for free.
- Nature Air permits between 15 lbs. and 40 lbs. of checked baggage per person, determined by the fare class purchased.
- Sansa / Taca Regional permits 1 piece with maximum weight of 30 lbs./14 kgs and up to 45 linear inches / 114 cm. (length + height + width)
- Excess baggage has additional charges.
- Surfboards are often treated as excess baggage, so it is best contact the airline before hand and find out.
- Make sure when you book to ask if they can take your surfboard, some flights don't have room.
- The price of excess baggage is subject to change.
Another great way to fly is to charter a flight to get to the destination of your choice, while they are slightly more costly, they are a great alternative to traveling on your own schedule.
Find Local Flights in Costa Rica View All
Top Car Rental Picks in Costa Rica
Costa Rica Domestic Airline Map:
Click on the map to select an airport.
Click to enlarge map - Costa Rica Domestic Airline Map
Airports in Costa Rica
Click on the map to select an airport or select an airport from below.